The “Great Commission” of Mt 28:18-20, Mk 16:15-20, Lk 24:45-50, and Acts 1:1-8, was instruction for Israel and is not instruction for the Church, the body of Christ:
- “baptizing them in the name of …” (Mt 28:19) is part of the gospel of the kingdom and is a work (Mk 1:4, 8, Mt 3:6, 11, Lk 3:16, Jn 1:26, 28, 31, 33, 3:23, Acts 2:38).
- “Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you …” (Mt 28:20) is works, not grace.
- Mk 16:15 states, “Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature”.
- Mt 24:14 states, “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.”
- Since Paul states in Colossians 1:23, “If ye continue in the faith grounded and settled, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, which ye have heard, and which was preached to every creature which is under heaven; whereof I Paul am made a minister;” why hasn’t the end come yet? Answer: there is more than one gospel.
- Mk 16:16 states, “He that believeth (the gospel) and is baptized shall be saved …” This is not a reference to the baptism of the Holy Spirit (as demonstrated in Acts 2:38, 41, 8:13, 16, 38) and is a work. The Christian is not saved by baptism.
- Mk 16:17-18 states, “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.“
- Everything described in these two verses is not operational within our current dispensation. No member of the body of Christ does these things.
- Amazingly, these things will be operational by believers during the Tribulation Period (Daniel’s 70thWeek).
- Lk 24:47 (repentance and remission of sins) is the same message as Mt 3:1-6 with John the Baptist and Acts 2:38-41 with Peter. It is the gospel of the kingdom message.
- The Christian’s “great commission” can be found in verses such as:
- 2 Cor 5:19-20 – “To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and hath committed unto us the word of reconciliation. Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ’s stead, be ye reconciled to God.”
- Rom 16:25-26 – “Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began, But now is made manifest, and by the scriptures of the prophets, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, made known to all nations for the obedience of faith:”
- 1 Tim 2:3-6 – “For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; Who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time.”
- Titus 2:14-15 – “Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.”
- Eph 4:12-15 – “For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:”
- 1 Cor 1:17-18 – “For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.”
- Eph 3:9 – “And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:”
The mission and commission of the church is to proclaim the message of reconciliation (II Cor. 5:14-21) and to preach Jesus Christ according to the revelation of the mystery, as first revealed to the Apostle Paul (Rom. 16:25; Eph. 3:1-9; I Tim. 1:16).